Freelance in Dubai 2019 – A complete guideKWSME
There are a lot of reasons why freelancing is growing in popularity all over the world. People are working as freelancers using different that they have acquired and are making a living for themselves through the various channels that have been developed for freelancing. Among them are well-known registered websites which act as a marketplace for freelance work. People are now finding it easy to get earn through the internet and provide assignments before deadlines thanks to the access to internet and skills.
Freelance work in the UAE
Just like any other country, freelancing has caught the eye of people in the UAE as well because of all the benefits that it has. Not every individual or business can afford hiring professional service providers as they charge high fees for the services they provide. This is why demand for freelance workers has grown and people are finding freelancing attractive as it pays well enough for them to pay for their expenses.
It is not difficult to become a freelancer if you have the right skills set. These skills set however determines what kinds of jobs you will be able to acquire. For example, a logo designer is expected to be creative and have knowledge of logo developing software’s etc. Just like a full-time job at an organization, if you meet the job requirements; you are likely to get the job.
In case where the freelancer is already working full-time at an organization, the employee is required to obtain a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from their employer. Furthermore, expats are allowed to obtain a freelancer licence on their spouse’s visa. They are required to obtain a NOC from their spouse and labour card from the licencing authority or immigration office of the Emirate where the freelancer is getting registered.
However, in order to work as a freelancer in Dubai, you are required to have a free-lance work license. Just like a trade license Dubai, the government of UAE has introduced freelance work permits to support the growth so every that businesses and individuals can take advantage of freelancing.
Required documents for UAE freelance permit
In order to get a freelance permit UAE, the following documents have to be provided:
- Your updated resume
- A copy of your passport, visa
- A bank reference letter
- A no-objection certificate given by your sponsor; in case you are applying for a permit without visa
- Your work portfolio or sample, if you are working in the media sector only
- Credentials and certificates to justify your eligibility, if you are working in the education sector only
Advantages of Freelance work in the UAE
Those who are in need of freelance services are also happy since they are paying less for the services that they avail.
People are now able to pay their bills and make a living out of freelancing with a comfort level that they might not find in an office. Some of the reasons are:
- Freelancing is not a full-time 9-hour job.
- You are your own boss and you provide services directly to your clients.
- You have the freedom to say when you think you cannot do an assignment or simply just do not want to.
- Your work hours are as flexible as you want them to be, adding to your free time to dedicate elsewhere.
- You might not even have to pay taxes on your income in some places if you earn through freelancing.
Disadvantages of Freelance work in the UAE
Even though working as a freelancer has its benefits, there are a few disadvantages as well
- Freelance workers do not get a fixed monthly salary unless the people they are working with are buying their services for the price every month.
- You sometimes may not have any work depending on the market trends and your specific skills set.
- You do not get paid leaves.
- You may have to work overtime in order to get a job done.
- You might have to work with multiple clients at the same time.
- No company sponsored health benefits.
How to apply for the permit?
The process to apply for the freelance permit UAE is very simple:
- You have to submit an online application.
- You will receive an email notification, once your application for the permit is approved. You will then have head over to Tecom business centres to sign your documents and pay the required fee.
You will soon receive your freelance permit through an email.
Get all the help you need
KWS ME, a business consultancy in Dubai, can provide you more details as to what the freelance permit brings with it and how you can obtain it. The consultancy helps in business setup in Dubai and company formation to its clients. It also provides support services that are of much use to investors and entrepreneurs who want to establish a business setup in Dubai. These services include corporate bank account opening, product and visa registration, and obtaining a trade license Dubai.
The consultancy has kept itself up-to-date with the latest information in the market and will be able to better guide you with regards to freelancing and how you can effectively use it to fulfil your purpose.
Want to know more about freelancing? Call us or send us an email today.