UAE is one of the largest and most important centers of international trade. Naturally, the UAE government is tilted towards creating a highly conducive, consumer friendly and well-regulated environment for fair competition and growth of international trade. The regional market regulations make it incumbent upon businesses to register their products, as a preliminary step for their business setup in U.A.E.
Cosmetic businesses are thriving in Dubai. In order to regulate the quality and maintain the international standards, UAE government has established a modern and comprehensive assessment standard which makes it compulsory for cosmetic products to be registered first prior to launching (selling) in the local market.
Product Registration Rules and Regulation
- Cosmetic Product Registration is mandatory before distributing in the local market.
- Any company that wants to import, manufacture, distribute or sell any cosmetic product must independently register that product. Registration validity is on a company level, and requires presence of a Valid Trade / Industrial License in UAE with a related activity.
- The product must comply with the recommended health & safety specifications highlighted in CPSS (Consumer Products Safety Section). Only then Product Registration Certificate is issued.
- In case the product gets rejected, the Product Assessment Report is issued and such product is not allowed to be distributed in the local market (not approved product).
Validity of Product Registration in Dubai
Registered Product is valid for 5 years from date of issuance of product registration certificate. After the expiry of validity period, product would be subjected to a review before a government-sanctioned renewal of registration can be awarded.
List of Cosmetic Products
The following list of cosmetic product registration in Dubai is not comprehensive but is provided by way of example:
- Creams, emulsions, lotions, gels and oils for the skin (hands, face, feet, etc.)
- Face masks (with the exception of peeling products)
- Tinted bases (liquids, pastes, powders)
- Make-up powders, after-bath powders, hygienic powders, etc.
- Toilet soaps, deodorant soaps, etc.
- Perfumes, toilet waters and Eau de Cologne
- Bath and shower preparations (salts, foams, oils, gels, etc.)
- Deodorants and antiperspirants
- Hair care products:
- Hair tints and bleaches
- Product for waving, straightening and fixing
- Setting products, Cleansing products (lotions, powders, shampoos) Conditioning products (lotions, creams, oils) Hairdressing products (lotions, lacquers, brilliantines)
- Shaving products (creams, foams, lotions)
- Products for making up and removing make-up from the face and eyes
- Products intended for application to the lips
- Products for care of the teeth and mouth
- Products for nail care and make-up
- Products for external intimate hygiene
- Sunbathing products
- Products for tanning without the sun
- Skin-whitening products
- Anti-wrinkle products.
Procedure for Cosmetic Products Registration in Dubai
A comprehensive stepwise process of authorizations, sanctions, and attestations is put in place by the Dubai authorities, which must be followed in order to get a product registered. A list of supporting documents duly attested by the UAE Embassy must be produced from the country of origin in concurrence with the registration process.
This all sounds a bit complicated, but don’t fret – KWSME is here to help. Following steps are to be followed for cosmetic product registration in Dubai:
- Obligatory requirement before applying for the service: The Company should have a valid license with related activity to consumer product category and create an account at Dubai Municipality portal.
- Submit Cosmetic Products Registration Service Application (CPRE) to start the procedure and pay the fees (technical instructions are available through e-form program).
- The company representative should fill the form for each product. We can provide you the forms.
- The company representative must submit a copy of a valid label assessment of the product that needs to be registered.
- Documents required for submission include Certificate of Free Sales -CFS (attested by a government authority in the country of origin), Ingredients Report/Laboratory Test Report (signed and/or stamped by the manufacturer or brand owner), Analysis report signed and/or stamped by the manufacturer or brand owner), Good manufacturing practice (GMP) certificate (required all locally manufactured products)
- If the product complies with DM regulation and all required documents are uploaded then the product will be registered and an electronic registration certificate will be automatically generated.
- Our agents at KWSME will update you on the status of the application continuously, and once the report is ready we will provide the original certificate of registration.
KWS Middle East holds extensive industry experience and profound knowledge of the latest legal regulations and testing standards relating to food, herbal, health and cosmetic products. We ensure a smooth, tailored, error-free, cost-effective and timely execution of product registration process, on the behalf of our clients.
It must be noted here that product registration process in Dubai varies from product to product and industry to industry; so vast knowledge and experience is essential to perform this task. Having work experience of more than 12 years, KWSME has successfully helped a number of clients, much to their satisfaction, to get their products registered in Dubai.