The UAE government is naturally and eternally tilted towards creating a highly conducive, consumer friendly and well-regulated environment for fair competition and growth of international trade. The UAE government makes it incumbent upon businesses to get their products registered with the government before formally launching them into the market. Cosmetics businesses are thriving in Dubai and have to go through the process of registration.
Consumer safety is an utmost priority with the government. Therefore, registration of cosmetic products is geared towards ensuring compliance of health and safety features highlighted in the CPSS (Consumer Products Safety Section). Evaluation of the product is carried out during the registration process. Dubai Municipality Rules and Regulations must be upheld when the product is manufactured, exported, imported, advertised, sold and distributed in the Dubai markets.
The Registration Regulation
The manufacturing, import, distribution, and sale of cosmetics in Dubai cannot be carried out prior to getting proper licenses and registration of the brands with the relevant government departments.
Validity of Product Registration in Dubai
5 years validity period is conferred upon a registered product which would be subjected to a review after the expiry of the validity period before a government-sanctioned renewal of registration can be awarded.
List of Cosmetics
The following list is not in-depth but is provided as an example:
- Creams, emulsions, lotions, gels and oils for the skin (hands, face, feet, etc.)
- Face masks (with the exception of peeling products)
- Tinted bases (liquids, pastes, powders)
- Make-up powders, after-bath powders, hygienic powders, etc.
- Toilet soaps, deodorant soaps, etc.
- Perfumes, toilet waters and Eau de Cologne
- Bath and shower preparations (salts, foams, oils, gels, etc.)
- Deodorants and antiperspirants
- Hair care products:
- Hair tints and bleaches
- Product for waving, straightening and fixing
- Setting products, Cleansing products (lotions, powders, shampoos) Conditioning products (lotions, creams, oils) Hairdressing products (lotions, lacquers, brilliantines)
- Shaving products (creams, foams, lotions)
- Products for making up and removing make-up from the face and eyes
- Products intended for application to the lips
- Products for care of the teeth and mouth
- Products for nail care and make-up
- Products for external intimate hygiene
- Sunbathing products
- Products for tanning without the sun
- Skin-whitening products
- Anti-wrinkle products.
Registration of the product in Dubai:
A comprehensive stepwise process of authorizations, sanctions, and attestations is put in place by the Dubai authorities, which must be followed in order in proper order to get a product registered. A list of supporting documents duly attested by the UAE Embassy must be produced from the country of origin in concurrence with the registration process.
KWS-ME has successfully helped a number of clients, much to their satisfaction, to get their products registered in Dubai.