How Beauty & Cosmetic Industries Are Setting Trends in DubaiHaseeb
Did you know that doing business in cosmetics, beauty and personal care products in MEA region present a multi-billion dollar business opportunity?
According to a market research firm Euromonitor International, Middle East is the world’s fastest growing beauty market; estimated at about $25.4 billion (Dh93.21 billion) in 2015 and it will grow by 6.4% a year over the next five years.
Beauty & cosmetic industry is booming in UAE. According to Euromonitor International,
- UAE consumers spend US$239 per capita on cosmetics and personal care, more than any other country in the MEA region, and ninth worldwide.
- UAE Per capita spending on cosmetics is estimated to remain on top in next five years, at $295 in 2020.
- UAE’s premium market share will increase from 48% to 50% in the same period.
- Best selling products
- Fragrances and perfumes – $5.8 billion sales
- Hair care – $4.2 billion sales
- Skin care – $3.5 billion sales
- Future growth is expected to come mainly from well-established brands, niche as well as competitively priced products that are high in quality and represent good value for money.
Why is beauty & wellness sector booming in UAE?
1. Cosmetics products have become a basic and daily need
Beauty industry is recession proof in UAE. Even if people pinch their money on other high end products, they still spend on skin care & hair care regime.
2. UAE’s predominantly young population is fueling demand
UAE consumers do not compromise on beauty and wellness products. UAE predominantly young population with high disposable income and a strong social pressure to look good want to take care of themselves with beauty and spa rituals whenever possible.
3. Impact of social media
Isabelle De Cock, the general manager for the Middle East for MAC cosmetics says,
“The explosion of social media, and in particular the online channels of Snapchat and Instagram, has been a major driver of Mena consumers being exposed to – and being able to adopt – beauty trends from across the world.”
The impact of social media on beauty industry is not just in UAE but everywhere around the world. People get knowledge and watch tutorials about all beauty products via Instagram and have become more sophisticated and diverse in terms of product usage and artistry technique.
This is why multinational brands rely on “Digital influencers” (bloggers) for promotion of their new products because people believe more when a real person talks about a product.
Dubai – Beauty Bazaar for Smart Customers
Dubai has become a beauty hub not only for Middle East region but also on a global scale. Beauty World Middle East is the largest international trade fair for beauty products that take place in Dubai, attracting over 137,000 visitors from 131 countries. The exhibitors (retailers, distributors, wholesalers, importers & exporters) showcasing their new products have grown from 755 in 2011 to more than 1500 in 2017.
Also due to upcoming World Expo 2020 being hosted by Dubai that is expecting 20 million people to attend it will lead tourists to buy more beauty products for their friends and family.
Key Trends in Beauty Sector
- Demand for natural and organic products
- Personalized products and services
- Men’s grooming (men’s product lines, salons and barber shops)
- Growing market for halal beauty and skin care products
- Spa market
- Cosmetic surgery
- Micro blading (eye brow framing technique)
- Laser treatment for face and body
- Usage of minimal invasive advanced techniques that requires no cuts and leaves no scars such as facelifts and liposuction
- Botox and fillers
- injectable based fat dissolving around face and neck
- Combination injectable based contouring
Start Your Own Beauty & Cosmetic Business in UAE
If you are looking to setup business in Dubai in beauty industry, you can either do that by making own your own cosmetics and personal care products. OR you can sell local and international brands. Either way, it is highly recommended that you get consultation from our experts at KWSME.
Read more on cosmetics product registration in Dubai on our website.